HEC Recruitment: Digital Engagement Officer
Please note, the recruitment period has now ended.
We are delighted to announce that we are currently recruiting two new roles to maximise our outputs and to enhance our public engagement. Both of these roles constitute key contributions to our effort to become a globally recognised maritime archive and heritage institution.
The Lloyd’s Register Foundation, Heritage & Education Centre is a public-facing library and archive holding material concerning over 250 years of marine and engineering science and history. The Centre is a part of the Lloyd’s Register Foundation and is focused on enhancing public education and research in a number of areas, from maritime history to STEM disciplines.
The Centre are also the custodians of Lloyd’s Register’s vast archive. With materials dating back to the 1830s, the archive holds over 1.25 million ship plans and survey reports, the historic photograph collection, Lloyd’s Register corporate history documents and much more.
The diversity of the Centre’s library and archive offer an invaluable resource to researchers from a variety of disciplines, including maritime, business, engineering, genealogy and linguistics.
You will be responsible for leading new engagement projects for the HEC digital archive, promoting the digital activities of HEC and working to link HEC digitised material to other online collections to broaden their impact.
The Digital Engagement Officer role offers a fixed term contract for 12 months.
- Launch and develop a HEC Wikimedia release platform; furthering engagement with the Centre’s digital resources. Pilot project will include release of the First and Famous collection on Wikimedia. The platform will require a steady release schedule as well as development of analytics capability that can track public engagement with the collections. Will be supported by the Centre’s Digital Archivist and Archivist.
- Ensure consistent engagement with Foundation networks and Lloyd’s Register Group business streams by sharing HEC resources and research, as outlined by Digital Engagement Manager.
- Launch a HEC repository within ArchivesHub to promote the Centre’s Ship Plan and Survey Report Collection, Corporate Archive and Reference Library. Will lead to further engagement with local and national institutions, libraries and archives.
- Support Stories Portal (Phase 2) website development; applying potential user behaviour design changes and lessons learnt from Wikimedia release platform. Will work closely with Education & Outreach Coordinator and Digital Engagement Manager in development of this.
- Lead promotion of future bulk upload campaigns as well as monthly themed campaigns across website, social media and internal comms throughout 2021.
- Support Education & Outreach Coordinator in promotion and engagement of Podcasts, Online Exhibitions, Stories portal, Webinars across all internal and external platforms throughout 2021.
- Ensure linking of digitised collection with other institutional/organisational platforms.
- Responsible for furthering existing engagement of digital resources across HEC website and social media.
- Support Education & Outreach Coordinator and Digital Engagement Manager in producing policies and flowcharts for the Centre’s Document Management System.
- Support wider HEC team as needed.
To be considered
- The applicant must have a degree in History or related subject
- Experience in improving digital accessibility of research resources, particularly on Wikimedia
- Experience in planning and leading comms campaigns
- Awareness of GDPR protocols
- Good communication skills and the ability to interact with a wide range of users
- Excellent research and writing skills with attention to detail and accuracy
- Experience in Microsoft office programs is required
- Experience in Adobe Create Cloud programs (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere Pro), Google Analytics and website CMS's would be beneficial but not required, as training will be provided
- The ability to anticipate and respond to changing needs and digital media
- Flexible approach to adjust the role as the position develops